Sunday, February 21, 2016

Tabasco* Cookbook

Hello readers!!

I just got done with a successful and super fun dinner party! I recently received a cookbook of the Tabasco* persuasion from Blogging for Books, and, let's face it, it was pretty fucking great.

So, my upcoming week is going to be shitty. I'm basically going to be running shit and have an insane deadline SO I figured I might as well have an awesome weekend leading up to it, including getting drunk on a Sunday. I invited my cousin, my high school friend and his girlfriend over for dinner and drinking.

I received the new book on Friday and was SUPER excited about it. There are so many different kinds of recipes: breakfasts, desserts, sauces, entrees, appetizers, drinks, I didn't know what to pick! But, I had to sit down and figure out what to make for my friends.

I decided to make two things for dinner and a dessert because I couldn't pass up a dessert made with hot sauce. I decided to make Scallops in Double Pepper Sauce and the Hot Damn Pesto over Pasta and for dessert the Peppery Gingerbread.

I started drinking immediately today because, fuck this week. And I had a big day of cooking ahead of me. Cousin showed up and then friends showed up almost instantly after (they weren't expected for another hour). Cousin was supposed to bring an electric mixer for the dessert, but forgot, so she was in charge of mixing it by hand. I think besides that, the dessert was SUPER easy, but she was occupied for a while.

Pesto is super easy to make, you just throw a ton of shit in a food processor and throw it over pasta. The scallops were easy, what took the longest was slicing the peppers. Otherwise, I cooked the peppers first and then the scallops and it was done. I was super nervous because I had never made scallops before but no one complained and everyone seemed to like them. Let's see if anyone gets sick tonight.

We drank TONS of wine and ate the food. I harassed everyone into telling me what their favorites were. Ben liked the pesto, Claire liked the scallops and Cousin and I liked the cake best. But everyone seemed into all the food that was there.

I don't think I'd ever make the pesto again. It wasn't spicy, and I make amazing pesto normally, so I'd probably just add Tabasco* to that recipe if I ever wanted spicy pesto. I would make the scallops again, they were tasty, but not like, THE BEST SCALLOPS ever. The cake I would 100% make again, it was like a normal gingerbread, but with a little SPARKLE (spiciness).

The recipes were super easy to follow and cook, but my one gripe is nothing was SUPER spicy. Everything had a slight kick, including dessert, but nothing was spicy, which is what I was hoping for with a Tabasco* cookbook. But it was a fun night, we drank tons of wine and ate a lot and I enjoyed it all.

As for the ratings, it's hard. I've had this book in my possession for like, 3 days. So I haven't talked a lot about it or recommended it when drunk. But that's not to say I wont!

OOOH! And here are some pictures!



















*Tabasco the hot sauce, not the region of Mexico (not that any sane person would think that).

No comments:

Post a Comment