Sunday, February 8, 2015

Knock Knock! Who's There? Moosewood Cookbook. Moosewood Cookbook who? Moosewood Cookbook Drunk Book Report!

WOAH READERS!

So here we are, another night, another drunk book report. I got another new cookbook! AND I MADE TWO WHOLE RECIPES FROM IT THIS TIME!!!

The first of the two recipes, I made SUPERBOWL SUNDAY (or let's call it LAMEbowl sunday because the worst team in the history of sports won and we're just going to gloss over that fact (especially because they're cheaters).).  This recipe was for SAMOSAS OMG.

The second of the two recipes I made a few nights ago for MOVIE NIGHT WHAT!!! (Movie night is this great thing where my BFFs come over, we randomly select a movie from a long list using a number generator and an artificial drum roll. This week the movie was BIRDMAN! (Let's just pretend that it's out on DVD so we can gloss over the fact that it was an illegal download.)) This recipe was EGGPLANT CURRY! (Less OMG.)

Let's start with the cookbook though. Moosewood is pretty cool. It apparently is from the 70's (Caution: Not fact checked). It's like, the definitive vegetarian cookbook from those times. All the recipes are hand written (or use a lovely faux handwritten typeface) and there are several illustrations throughout. This is a very lovely touch.

Overall though, I'm not crazy impressed with the food. Both dishes were FINE with a capital F (and I, N, and E). I ate them, but would not add them to the rotation or even recommend them to anyone else. The samosas were absolutely better than the curry, but I don't think that's saying much.

So let's talk process.

Lamebowl sunday, my BFF Jerrsica came by and I started making these little pockets of food. The dough was super easy and so was the filling. Once all that was ready, it was time to construct. I had to buy a FUCKING ROLLING PIN FOR THIS and roll out little balls of dough, fill with the mashed potatoes and then construct the samosa. This was a lot of fucking work. I don't think the juice was worth the squeeze.

Oh, and I kept calling them empanadas the whole day, because I'm a stupid drunk.

So yeah, constructing these little assholes was not fun and I felt exhausted by the time I finished.

We ate them and it was kind of a resounding, "These are fine, but not worth the effort put in. I'd rather just get a samosa at an Indian restaurant."

Next up is Eggplant Curry. After a long day at work, I rush home to make this food before my friends come over for movie night. Warning: this made a fuck ton of food. I had to beg my friends to eat it once they got there.

The recipe was pretty easy to follow. Basically just had to chop some shit, saute it and then was done. It was pretty good, Jerrsica seemed to like it. I enjoyed it eating that night. But then the next day, I ate it for lunch and ended up throwing it away. I don't know if it's the fact that my whole apartment smelled like curry for 36 hours and I just was sick of it, or what, but I don't care for this food. I have two more containers in my fridge that I gag thinking about. This is not a good sign. 

So yeah, overall, I have not been blown away. It's a shame because the book is BEAUTIFUL and there are a lot of delicious sounding recipes, but I'm just not impressed thus far. Maybe I didn't pick correctly (But you know, I don't want to blame myself here.), and I'm sure that I will try another thing from the book at some point, but MEH. 

So have I talked about this book while drunk? Nah, not really. I haven't really talked about this book at all though.

Would I recommend this book (while drunk)? This is, I think, the first book in the history of drunk book reports that I'm going to say: nope. Sorry, Mollie Katzen. I think we found a dud. I don't care WHAT the New York Times Best Seller list says. (Just don't tell them that. I really love the NYTimes and I don't want to disappoint them.) 

So there you have it. If I could sum this cookbook up in one phrase it would be: A basic cookbook for a basic bitch. 

OH I FORGOT: PHOTOS!!!







(This formation of images took be like, 25 minutes to make. I don't care how it looks.)




No comments:

Post a Comment