Friday, September 16, 2016

PUNDERDOME!

Hello, readers!

We're here to discuss not a book, but a GAME! How contrary to what this whole blog is about.

So, I received this game* Punderdome recently and have played a handful of times. Once with friends (well, coworkers) and once with family. I'd like say it went well, but that's a lie.

The premise of the game is that there are two cards with words on them and you have to come up with a pun that combines the two words. Say the two words are Books and Wine. A good pun would be... (20 minutes later), "Jonathan FRANZIA is my favorite author." Poor example, but you get the idea.

The first time I played this game was with the crew at work. It definitely was a bigger success than playing with my family. Everyone seems to enjoy the IDEA of the game, but people seemed to struggle at first with actually playing. One dude, in particular, who is super ESL just like, refused to write anything down. The one time he did, it was actually pure comedic gold. I think the big issue with this game is people let their brains get in the way and get too nervous to try.

BUT! Once everyone got into it, it was a lot of fun. This one girl, she would write like NOVELS of puns that were really hilarious and inventive. Overall there were some really good puns. There was one about sports and breakfast that for the life of me, I can't remember, but we were all crying laughing in the moment.

The second time I played Punderdome was with family. I was super excited to play with the fam, because my dad is like the PUN MASTER, much like most dads. I figured my brothers were clever enough that they would enjoy it and it would be super fun to sit around and get hammered and play this game. Well, no one wanted to try AT ALL. It was my brother, my sister in law, my brother in law, a couple nieces, my mother and myself. My brother kept writing "poop" down. Seriously, just the word poop. One of my nieces complained so much that at one point I said, "We played your stupid game (Apples to Apples), now it's YOUR TURN TO PLAY MINE." My brother in law just kept writing down hipster shit. My dad just acted like he had never heard a pun before in his life. MY MOM was the ONLY person to take this shit seriously.

Some background, my mom HATES games where you have to do something or need a brain. She loves games of chance like Uno or Yahtzee and hates every game I love like Scattegories, Cranium, Scribblish, Balderdash, etc. My mom was SUPER into this game. I don't know if it's the wine talking, but she came up with a ton (two) of hilarious puns. School and Medicine? "High School." Emotions and Fashion? "Bawl gown." Those are the best puns I've ever heard in my life. A PLUS MOM!

So, like, clearly this game is all about who you play with. If people have a great attitude going in, it's going to be so much fun you pee your pants. People complain constantly? You're going to want to pistol whip them.

So would I talk/recommend this GAME while drunk? Yeah, I wish I had more friends and I would probably play this game all the time. I'm constantly telling people about it and playing by myself in my head. My head puns are KILLER.

Here is a photo of the time we played at work:





SHAQUILLE O'MEAL!!!! THAT WAS THE BRILLIANT PUN! I KNEW IT WOULD COME TO ME!

Goodnight, homies.



* I have received this copy of Punderdome from Blogging for Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment